Dangote refinery raises record $2.5bn in landmark equity deal
By BUUMBA CHIMBULU DANGOTE Petroleum Refinery and Petrochemicals has raised US$2.5 billion through a private equity placement, in what the company says is the largest publicly disclosed private…
Stop taxing inputs before production – ZAM
By BUUMBA CHIMBULU THE Zambia Association of Manufacturers (ZAM) has urged Government to stop taxing manufacturing inputs before production begins, arguing that the current tax regime is driving up…
ECZ cuations against political violence
THE Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) has cautioned that political violence could discourage voter participation and undermine confidence in the electoral process ahead of the August 13, 2026 General…
Mundubile pledges to declare national miners’ day
By BARNABAS ZULU BRIAN Mundubile has pledged to declare a National Miners’ Day if elected President, saying the move would honour the immense contribution miners have made to Zambia’s…
Sentiments that promote tribal, ethnic divisions undermine unity – TI-Z
By NATION REPORTER TRANSPARENCY International-Zambia (TI-Z) has warned that remarks that promote tribal, ethnic, or regional divisions which are attributed to some leaders are undermining the country’s long standing…
LUSAMBO LOSES BAIL BID AGAIN
By CHIKUMBI KATEBE THE ECONOMIC and Financial Crimes division of the High Court has dismissed an application by incarcerated former Kabushi Member of Parliament Bowman Lusambo for bail pending appeal that it does not have the likelihood to succeed as it lacks the threshold required by law. A three-member panel of judges which included Ian M Mabbolobbolo, A. Malata-Ononuju and Sekelebaka Muwamba, the court said although it enjoyed the jurisdiction to hear the application, Lusambo failed to demonstrate exceptional circumstances sufficient to justify the grant of the bail pending appeal. Ms Justice Malata-Ononuji on behalf of the panel explained that assurances that the applicant was of fixed aboard and that he would comply with the bail conditions to be set as he did previously in the court below, was still insufficient to warrant admission to bail pending appeal. The court agreed with Lusambo’s submission that he had already spent some lengthy time in custody, which would be relevant for consideration, but that the appeal had not yet been cause-listed contrary to information that appeals were expeditiously heard. The court explained that it relied on authorities which prescribed that although the applicant would serve a substantial portion of the sentence could not by itself amount to an exceptional circumstance to warrant release on bail pending appeal. She also explained that with regard to the averments made by both Lusambo and the state that he would abide by any bail conditions set by the court, it was not guaranteed that the appeal would be successful. “Whereas here, the court is not satisfied that the appeal discloses a prima facie likelihood of success, the possibility that the applicant may serve a substantial portion of the sentence cannot, by itself, amount to an exceptional circumstance warranting release on bail pending appeal,” the judgement said. Lusambo lost his initial application for bail pending appeal against his four-year sentence before the Lusaka Magistrates Court before making a fresh application before the Lusaka High Court at the Economic and Financial crimes division, which he has also lost./////////////////////////////
NRPUP Questions ECZ Over Ballot Paper Handling Procedures
By Nation Reporter The National Reconciliation Party for Unity and Prosperity (NRPUP) has expressed concern over what it describes as a lack of transparency by the Electoral Commission of…
ECZ TO PROMOTE INCLUSIVE ELECTORAL PARTICIPATION
THE Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) has reaffirmed its commitment to promoting inclusive electoral participation for persons with disabilities ahead of the August 13 general elections. ECZ Voter Education Programme Manager, Emmah Mwiinga, says the commission remains committed to ensuring that every eligible citizen participates freely, equally and meaningfully in the electoral process regardless of disability. Ms Mwiinga was speaking when she officially opened a two-day Lusaka provincial workshop on Inclusive Electoral Participation for Persons with Disabilities in Lusaka. She noted that persons with disabilities are equal citizens with constitutional rights to register as voters, access electoral information, vote independently and in secrecy and contribute to the country’s democratic governance. Ms Mwiinga explained that this year’s general election marks a significant milestone as it will be the first to be conducted under Constitution Amendment Act No. 13 of 2025 and the Electoral Process (Amendment) Act No. 12 of 2026 that introduced the Mixed Member Proportional Representation electoral system and reserved seats for women, youths and persons with disabilities in the National Assembly and local councils. Ms Mwiinga observed that despite progress made over the years, persons with disabilities continue to face challenges in accessing electoral information and services due to inaccessible polling stations, limited accessible voter education materials, communication barriers, digital exclusion and social stigma. She disclosed that the commission has introduced several measures to improve accessibility, including voter education materials in braille and sign language as well as tactile ballot paper jackets, which will be available at all polling stations during the forthcoming elections. Ms Mwiinga said the commission has rolled out disability-inclusive voter education programmes and trained electoral officers on inclusive electoral practices to ensure that no eligible voter is left behind. She thanked cooperating partners which include Zambia Federation of Disability Organisations (ZAFOD), United Nations Development Programme and the International Foundation for Electoral Systems, for their continued support in strengthening inclusive electoral processes in Zambia. Meanwhile, ZAFOD Programme Manager, Misheck Katongo has called on ECZ to consider employing persons with disabilities within its staff establishment. – ZANIS. To continue reading, you must subscribe to either DAILY, WEEKLY or MONTHLY Plans.
Sugilite wasn’t stolen – NPA
THE 23 tonnes of sugilite at the centre of Zambia’s high-profile Luapula mining scandal, once estimated by Nkana Member of Parliament Binwell Mpundu to be worth over US$50 million, were…
Shamenda denies predicting Mundubile’s defeat
By MUBITA KATETE FORMER Labour Minister Fackson Shamenda has dismissed reports alleging that he predicted the defeat of Tonse Pamodzi Alliance presidential candidate Brian Mundubile in the August 13 general…


