FootballLocal News

Power jump to third Nkana and Muza share the spoils 

…as Nkana and Muza share the spoils 


DEFENDING champions Power Dynamos escalated to third on the Zambia Premier League table stunning Green Eagles 2-0 in a rescheduled Week-4 fixture at Arthur Davies Stadium in Kitwe.

First and second half goals from strikers Andy Boyeli and Austin Muwowo gifted Power Dynamos the maximum three points which propelled them to eight points on the Super League table. 

The tightly contested fixture in Kitwe saw Green Eagles enjoying a fair share of ball possession and they almost came close to scoring the first goal in the seventh minute when Fred Micheal saw his shot being saved by Power goalkeeper Lawrence Mulenga. 

Power went ahead seven minutes into the first stanza when Boyeli converted a penalty he had won after he was brought down in the 18-yard box. 

Power came close to grabbing the second in the 21st minute when Justin Munyikwa made a crucial save to deny the Kitwe giants. 

Micheals almost snatched the equaliser for Eagles in the dying minutes of the first half but his header was cleared off the line by defender Chanda. 

Eagles started the second half with high intensity as Jameson Ndhlovu hit the post in what would have been the perfect equaliser for the Choma outfit. 

However, Power sealed the win with a late double from Wowowo who grabbed his first goal of the season as the hosts maintained an unbeaten streak. 

After four games, Power boast of having two wins and two draws with eight points, on par with Zanaco and Red Arrows who are in the top two. 

Meanwhile, struggling Nkana FC picked their first point of the season after coming from behind to hold FC Muza 1-1 at Woodlands Stadium in Lusaka. 

Royd Katuka scored a late equaliser and cancelled BienvNu Mbongo’s first half strike for Muza as the two sides shared the spoils. 

Mbongo Ekofo headed in Chipo Sondashi’s pin point cross to give Muza a lead 10 minutes after kick off to silence the noisy Nkana fans. 

Nkana who have struggled with three consecutive defeats in the first three games struggled to create chances upfront while FC Muza looked sharp but failed to convert the numerous chances they created. 

Nkana had to wait until the 83rd minute to score the equaliser through Katuta who gave the new technical bench led by Ian Bakala something to smile about as they avoided defeat in the first game in charge of the Kitwe giants. 


Related Articles

Back to top button