Can the bullet stop the lion?

Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:34:57 +0000


By Grace Chaile-Lesoetsa

……as Young Teranga Lions face Junior Chipolopolo in Sunday final

ZAMBIA and Senegal will clash in a game of supremacy which comes with a US$250,000 (about K2,500,000) prize money this Sunday at the National Heroes Stadium in Lusaka.

Senegal qualified to the final of the Under-20 Africa Cup of Nations when they edged Guinea 1-0 in a semi-final match at Levy Mwanawasa Stadium last night.

Zambia booked her final slot on Wednesday after beating South Africa by a lone goal by Edward Chilufya in extra time.

The young Teranga Lions have to overcome the Junior Chipolopolo in the final to rule Africa.

And Guinea will face South Africa in a third and fourth playoff which kicks off on Sunday at 14.00 hours before the final match at 17.30 hours.

Coach Marie Koto said Senegal will prepare adequately to outshine the hosts Zambia.

“I am happy we have qualified to the final. We are meeting a strong side, therefore we will prepare well to emerge victors,” he said.

Zambia coach Beston Chambeshi on Wednesday said his lads were ready to meet anyone whether Senegal or Guinea.

“We are ready to meet any team. The team is prepared to lift the title, so we will do our best in the final,” he said.

In last night’s semi-final clash, Senegal and Guinea exchanged possession in the first half but Senegal looked sharper on goal.

Senegal broke the deadlock in the 13th minute of play when Jean Ndecky’s cross from the right wing found the unmarked Aliou Badji who produced a powerful header to send the Teranga Lions to the final.

Guinea could have equalised in the 16th minute when Yamodou Toure’s cracker hit the post before Senegal defenders cleared it. In the 22nd minute Senegal also came close to doubling the advantage through Mamadou Mbaye but Guniea was again saved by the woodwork.

Guniea’s Mamadou Kane’s solo effort from the right flank ended on a disappointment as his low pass did not find a finisher in the box on 33rd minute.

Senegal had a clear chance to make it 2-0 before the break through a penalty when Guinea defender Mohamed Camara handled the ball in the box in a bid to block Ibrahima Niane but Guinea goalkeeper Moussa Camar brilliantly saved the spot kick.

In the second half, both teams were poor on target with Guinea showing immaturity on target.

Guinea could have sent the game into extra time in the 87th minute when Momo Yansan’s shot missed the post before Morlaye Sylla blew over a close range chance.


Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button