LET’S TALK BANKING WITH VITALIS HAMUSONDE-BAZ FRAUD PREVENTION & SECURITY COMMITTEE MEMBER
BEWARE OF MANIPULATIVE TACTICS OF FRAUDSTERS!
Easy way to defeat the Fraudster
FRAUDSTERS will stop at nothing to achieve their goal of reaping where they did not sow. It therefore goes without saying that defeating the fraudster requires similar determination, courage, zeal and force. This understanding of fraud portrays a picture that fraud is insurmountable, huge and complex.
While that view may be true, this article will, however, explore simple methods that can be used to effectively erode away the pangs of fraud. Fraud itself is so weak that just a little bit here and a little bit there would thwart its surge.
The simple tools are user friendly. They appeal to anyone and are able to contribute greatly to reduction of fraud incidences. The fight against fraud coupled with the use of easy-to-use tools becomes more urgent now given the fact that any continued delay or lackluster attitude towards fraud would create an impression that fraudsters were winning. This view would be dangerous for the country especially the youth as they would grow up thinking fraud is lucrative business. We must declare categorically that fraud is a crime and crime does not pay.
In the first place, did you know that fraud can if fact be fought using simple tactics? Yes, it can. The beauty of using simple methods of fighting fraud is that many people from all walks-of-life can be armed with at least one or two methods of fighting fraud. If this were to be the case, then the fight against fraud would not only be a preserve for law enforcement agencies but for everyone.
The easy way to fight fraud is to remind ourselves of basic principles of life that we tend to forget or simply brush aside. These principles could be the game changer in the fight against fraud. We highlight a few of them:-
- Always remember that fraud is REAL. You therefore need to limit your associations to people you know;
- Do not entertain calls from unknown people asking about your banking details or some business opportunity. Yes, we are encouraged to network or to be industrious, but we should always be aware that fraud is REAL;
- Secure your personal particulars including personal banking credentials. Fraudsters are REAL!
- Always scan the environment. Any activity outside the norm must be questioned;
- Avoid over interaction on social media as this might weaken your guard, someday;
- Always remember that fraudsters Make Believe. They will convince you that the colour of the sky is black and blue;
- Learn to say ‘No, thank you!’
- At every opportunity, please talk about fraud and its negative consequences.
The time to contribute to the fight against fraud is now. Let us not wait until we fall prey to the fraudster. Fraud is too painful to contemplate. Please do something today for your neighbor, will you?
As always, your feedback is highly valuable, and this platform offers an opportunity for further engagement with members of the public on matters relating to Commercial Banking. Please share your feedback with us via E-mail: Mirriam.Zimba@baz.co.zm
ENJOY A FRAUD FREE ENVIRONMENT AND GROW THE ECONOMY!!!!