MINERS IN US$15M BONAZA
By ADRIAN MWANZA
GOVERNMENT has succumbed to the pressure from miners at Mopani Copper Mines who demanded that they were paid their US$ 15 million second batch of benefits which they worked for under Glencore PLC.
Mines minister Paul Kabuswe said that government had the money and paid the miners who had protested.
He urged the miners to return for work as they had deposited the money and the latest would be the close of business today.
Mr Kabuswe said that the money had been secured and that the miners needed not to worry because their plight had been heard.
“All I can say is that we have the money and the miners will be paid their dues with the latest being tomorrow (today),’’ he said.
He said there was no need to panic over the matter because government had everything under control and their concerns were being looked into.
The workers on Tuesday downed tools and even threatened to harass Mine Workers Union of Zambia President Joseph Chewe and New Kitwe District Commissioner Lawrence Mwanza as they demanded to be paid their benefits.
The two had a tough time trying to calm the situation as they received unprintables from the irate miners forcing them to leave the site.