Local News

Jay Jay now in remand prison


SUSPENDED Eastern Province youth chairperson, Emmanuel Banda has clocked a week in police custody without being taken to court and has instead been moved to remand prison, relatives have revealed.

They noted that, suspects could not be moved to remand prison without appearing in court.

And Eastern Province Commissioner of Police, Luckson Sakala has confirmed that Mr Banda was taken to Chipata remand prison.

Mr Banda, popularly known as Jay Jay, was arrested last Wednesday for aggravated assault and released on police bond. The following day, he allegedly travelled to Chipata where an impromptu procession landed him into trouble.

Asked why he has not yet been taken to court, Mr Sakala said the police were still waiting for a docket from the National Prosecution Authority.

“Yes we took him to Chipata remand prison. He has not yet appeared in court because we are still waiting for the docket from the National Prosecution Authority,” Mr Sakala said.
According to a source who sought anonymity, Mr Banda was on Tuesday taken to Chipata Prison from Central Police Station where he was being held.

The source who is Mr Banda’s relative insisted that his detention was politically motivated.
“There is political conspiracy in the matter surrounding Jay Jay’s case. Just imagine he has clocked seven days now without being taken to court.

“And when we as a family try to enquire why he is not taken to court or allow us to sign police bond for him, they say they are still waiting for instructions from above. Now, we wonder who is the one above instructing the police to prolong Jay Jay’s incarceration as if he is a common criminal,” the source said.

And the source said, contrary to assertions that Mr Banda was cornered by Police in Chi- pata, he handed himself in.

The source also said Mr Banda was invited to Chipata by Sports Minister, Emmanuel Mulenga to attend the youth empowerment programme after he was released on police bond in Lusaka.

Jay Jay was last week charged with aggravated assault after allegedly storming Lusaka’s Central Police Station and assaulting a police officer last month.

After being released on bond in Lusaka on Wednesday, Mr Banda travelled to Chipata, where he allegedly had a “triumphant entry into the city,” fully-backed by a convoy and a posse of supporters.

That allegedly abrogated the Public Order Act guidelines, and Inspector General of Police Kakoma Kanganja on Thursday ordered for his arrest.

He was the following day arrested and charged with unlawful procession.


Related Articles

Back to top button