Community

Kitwe market shops gutted

Kitwe market shops gutted

FIRE yesterday swept through Kitwe City Centre, Chamboli and Nakadolimarkets in separate incidents destroying goods worth thousands of Kwacha.

A check by the Daily Nation revealed that nine shops and some stalls were burnt to ashes while  traders watching helplessly and called on government to consider helping them after the devastating loss.

At Kitwe City Centre, six shops behind the council toilet at Mindolo station were burnt, at Chamboli market, one wholesale shop was gutted , while a storage shop was also burnt at Nakadoli market 

Kitwe Town Clerk Mbulo Seke said the city experienced four separate fire incidences within 24 hours in which six shops were gutted within the City Centre at Mindolo station, a wholesale shop at  Chamboli market and a storage shop at Nakadoli market as well as a container shop within town.

Mr Seke said Small and Medium Traders as well as other business persons should consider taking up insurance covers for their properties to help them restore their business when they experience fire and other calamities

“I can confirm that in the early hours of today, the district experienced four separate fire incidences within 24 hours in which six shops were gutted in thetowncenter at Mindolo station, a wholesale shop  at  Chamboli market and a storage shop at Nakadoli market as well as a container shop within town

“It is a very sad development for the city and I would like to urge the Small and Medium Traders as well as other business persons to consider insuring their goods against fire and indeed any other calamities ,” Mr Seke said.

Mr Seke said the City Centre fire was caused by street kids who usually warm themselves and in the process the fire extended to some inflammable materials thereby gutting the shops.

He said in the Chamboli market incident, the local authority suspected an electrical fault, while  at Nakadoli market , it was due to failure to treat the grass.

A check by the Daily Nation at Mindolo station found traders watching helplessly at the remains of their shops.

One of the victims at Mindolo Station, Eddie Kapembwa said he received a phone call  around 24:30 hours from a security guard engaged by traders  that there was a fire but by the time he arrived around 01:00 hours, the fire had already wreaked havoc.

“We have lost everything and we don’t know where we can start from. This is why we are asking government to come to our aid. We have lost everything.

“For me I just arrived on Wednesday from South Africa where I went to buy clothes, shoes and bags which have all been burnt. I don’t even know where to start from,” Mr Kapembwa said

Another victim, Tibonge Chikwamwinga said her shop containing clothes was the first to be gutted and suspected arson as there was no electricity in the area.

“The traders use solar at their shops because they are not electrified. So we suspect arson in the area. I am calling on government to quickly move in and help the traders resuscitate their businesses,” she said

BY ROGERS KALERO

Related Articles

Back to top button