Local News

CRIMINALS’HIDEOUT BUSTED


2 more murder suspects nabbed as soldiers bust Kanyama hideout


By KALOBWE BWALYA and NOEL IYOMBWA
MILITARY personnel on Tuesday apprehended a man in military attire in Lusaka’s Kanyama, who attempted to hide in a building where an array of weapons were discovered.
And Police in Lusaka have arrested three more suspects in connection with the murder of two PF members which occurred in Kanyama compound on Friday last week.
The soldiers found four machetes, binoculars, a walkie-talkie, an axe, a knife and five wooden weapons.


Police spokesperson, Esther Katongo confirmed the incident and identified the man as Victor Kamizhi aged 23 years.


Ms Katongo said the suspect was found in possession of two catapults, one spiderman face mask, one gas mask, one baseball bat, and one bottom military attire.


She said the military personnel apprehended the suspect and handed him over to police in Kanyama where he is detained and a docket has been opened.


“It is alleged that on August, 03rd 2021 at about 11:00 hours, military personnel were patrolling around Mbasela area in Kanyama when they spotted a male person putting on military bottom attire and upon spotting the soldiers, he ran into a building in which they found the weapons,” Ms Katongo said.


In the other incident Police spokesperson, Esther Katongo, identified the suspects detained as Patheu Njekwa, Reuben Nalikena aged 22 and Mwendabai Namushi aged 32 all of Kanyama compound.


Ms Katongo said the trio had been jointly charged with the other four earlier arrested for murder.
She said that the total number of suspects in the murder case is now seven adding that they would appear in court soon.
The other suspects who were apprehended in the early hours of yesterday were in police custody awaiting court appearance.
Meanwhile, police are still investigating the case where Sioma independent parliamentary candidate Albert Mundia is charged with malicious damage to property.
But Mr Mundia said that despite the case, he would still stand as an independent candidate.

He said that the matter of alleged malicious damage to property was still ongoing as police are still investigating the matter.
“I am still going for the polls, I am contesting the August 12 elections, because police are still investigating my matter, “he said.
Mr Mundia was arrested and charged together with his driver for alleged malicious damage to property.
This followed an alleged fight between his supporters and those of the PF Parliamentary candidate, Mbololwa Sibulwa.
Ms Katongo said that the two suspects were also found in possession of a firearm with 14 rounds of ammunition.
But Mr. Mundia’s lawyer, Christopher Mundia, had described the arrest of his client as illegal and urged the police to release him.
Ms. Subulya had earlier complained that she was living in fear after Mr Mundia fired gunshots at her and went into hiding.
He allegedly fired gunshots at her after accusing her of using Government vehicles to campaign and later went into hiding.
The Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) has suspended Mr Mundia’s campaign activities due to violence.

Related Articles

Back to top button