FIRE SWEEPS THROUGH LUSAKA GARAGE
By KALOBWE BWALYA
GOODS worth over K70, 000 have been burnt in a fire at Red Sea Garage in Lusaka’s Buseko heavy industrial area.
A Daily Nation crew that rushed to the scene found a team of fire brigade officers from Lusaka City Council battling to quench the fire.
In interview, Red Bag Trailer Company manager, Robert Maanga, said the fire started when he was welding a top lamp stand on top of the storage container.
Mr Maanga explained that the sparks that were coming from the welding machines caused the fire after they dropped on highly inflammable materials.
He said the goods that had been burnt belong to individual mechanics such as tyres, car oils and motor spare parts.
“The fire started when I was welding a lamp stand on top of the container and after sparks dropped on the container shortly the fire started. By the time we went to pick the fire brigade, the fire had already spread and goods worth more than K70, 000 have since been destroyed,” Mr Maanga said.
A mechanic, Mr Grevazio Tembo, said the fire started shortly when sparks from the welding machine dropped on the container.
Mr Tembo sad that the sad part was that nothing had been retrieved and that many people have since lost their equipment.